Buying crypto on eToro - short review (USA resident)

I got the green light from my wife to put some more money into crypto not too long ago. When the market tanked I wanted a quick way to deposit. I looked for an exchange that would allow me to link my bank account for lower fees and quicker loads. Coinbase is not an option for me, I was banned for there years ago, they would never tell me why but I assume it is for sending BTC to a place they weren’t happy with. Kraken, Bittrex, Bitstamp - they all are wire only. I wanted to try Vertbase but for some reason they had some rules that I did not like. Can’t remember what it is now but it was a complete deal breaker - you can’t just buy some bitcoin and send it away easily. I came across eToro and learned they can hook up with your bank, and they didn’t have the same weird rules as Vertbase, so I gave it a try. I will not five too deep into the platform, as I did not use many features, but here are some points I would like to share: - Verification was super easy, required no photos, and I am genuinely surprised I have my btc on my ledger without further identity steps. Not sure what the limits are, I bought less than 1 BTC. - I was able to begin trading extremely fast. Within minutes of initiating my first deposit, I was able to trade. The exact amount that was debuted from my bank account showed up in my eToro account, no fees. - They have two ways to initiate an order - “trade” and “order”. Trade mentioned leverage, and on the initial screen would not let me adjust the buy price. Perhaps there was a screen somewhere to enable advanced options but I was not interested in that. “Order” allowed you to name the price your order would fill. There is no order book or chart, it is very simple.- Going to the order screen from the price/stats page would display a bitcoin price of .75% higher. Other crypto’s have varied spreads, or fees, with BTC the lowest. This is a pretty good fee, especially when your deposit was free. - In order to withdraw my BTC, I had to create a wallet, which is a separate app. You then have to initiate a withdraw, which cost .0005 BTC. Unfortunately if you laddered your buys as I did - the app treats every individual sale as individual, so each one incurred a .0005 BTC fee to withdraw to my wallet. That kind of sucked, I had 6 or 7 orders.- I received my BTC in my wallet the next day. The wallet advertises that they keep your private keys so it’s so easy and safe- you log in with your regular account name and password. So not a good idea to store there. - Once in that wallet I immediately attempted to withdraw to my ledger. This was frustrating as it displayed the fee to withdraw, which wasn’t too bad, so I subtracted it from my total and tried to withdraw. It appeared to work but then going back to my account it said it failed due to insufficient funds for fees. I tried to withdraw about 4 more times, and on the last attempt, I was getting worried that this was going to turn into a problem, but it went through. Kind of annoying they don’t tell you how much you need, as now I have a few dollars left sitting there, went too far, and I’ll probably never retrieve it. But voila, I checked the block explorer and literally less than a couple minutes my transaction was there and the balance showed at the address, albeit the transaction still needed to be confirmed. I checked hours later and my btc is safe on my ledger.- eToro claims you cannot withdraw crypto until after 25 days after your initial deposit, but I was able to a week after my first deposit.All in all - eToro had a big learning curve to understand how to use it. I did not find it intuitive in the least. But I am truly amazed at the low cost and speed at which I was able to both deposit and withdraw. I spent a week buying and selling a little, I wonder how fast I could have gone from deposit to withdraw had I just bought one order and immediately attempted the withdraw.Takes awhile to figure out but if you are a USA resident, want a cheap and easy way to buy some crypto, definitely worth a look.P.S. - I both started a ticket and a chat when attempting to withdraw the btc to my ledger, as the platform said my USD withdraw was pending. I was scared it wouldn’t work. But it was just they way they do it. Very complicated in some ways. Submitting the ticket said it would be up to 7 days to get a response so I started a chat. Took about an hour for representative to come online but she was helpful. I had an email a few hours later from support answering my ticket question. So customer service was adequate.

Submitted March 31, 2020 at 09:13AM

No comments:

Post a Comment