PLEASE BEWARE - 14,000 XRP stolen from Ledger

I feel so embarrassed.…TLDR:I have watched our xrp transfer from our account to an account that is currently holding over $2.5 million in xrp. This is clearly a large operation. Details below:Use to see: https://ift.tt/2JisVfX account: rfSYXEwYre349J3tBUhPvcawU5F2EGVN9aThe account that stole our xrp: r9sGt5vtxFcSfK2xwX3HxAMWTPTHo1ZLEgThe whale it was transferred to: rwpMvfxoodXggJ1g4qv6MWAPQqWDwQyHUWThe Chrome app is no longer live. I have however seen it re-uploaded this morning and have reported it. If you do a search for Ledger in the Chrome Store tomorrow morning I am sure you will see it there. Original links to said app:https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ledger-wallet/pbilbjpkfbfbackdcejdmhdfgeldakkn?utm_source=chrome-ntp-iconhttps://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ledger-live/opmelhjohnmenjibglddlpmbpbocohck/related?utm_source=chrome-ntp-icon…I’m self isolated as I am one of the many victims of Covid-19. I’m confined to a room in our house while my husband who is a key worker, continues to leave for work each day during the UK’s first lockdown. He’s an absolute hero, but I desperately wish our circumstances where different. I desperately wish I could just hug him.I have little but a laptop to keep me sane during the day at the minute, so I am frequenting Reddit often and keeping an eye on the crypto markets. Due to the situation right now money is tight, however I had worked out that by consolidating a few of our other crypto I would be able to recoup around 20% of our losses to help.We have our xrp stored in an offline Ledger Nano. The keywords are stored in a separate location and I knew never to divulge them to a 3rd party. Why I ended up doing just that, I can’t explain or understand. I can only put it down to the constant fever brought on by the virus. Believe me guys, this isn’t like flu!So… I begin the day by selling a load of our other crypto currency for bitcoin, sold some to help us and I then consolidate the remaining into xrp. I then load up our Ledger. It’s been a while since I last accessed our Ledger (2018), and have since changed my computer. I recalled the Ledger having a Chrome extension and this is when the scam starts.The only ledger extension on the Chrome store is one by the name of “Ledger Wallet” or “Ledger Live”. It claims to be from Ledger.com ® or Ledger Official ® and for all intents and purposes looks legitimate. It even had over 70 positive 4-5 star reviews, ranging from “Its a little difficult to operate” to “once I understood what to do it was easy”.Once you download the Chrome extension, it will ask for the version of Ledger you are using, followed by a screen prompting you to fill in your full set of keywords.I sat there typing each keyword out, double checking each one and not once did I think that this app wasn’t legitimate. I feel so very stupid.The app didn’t appear to work, so I downloaded a trusted wallet instead. I thought nothing of it and continued.At this point our Ledger contained 14,908 xrp. My husband and I had built this up as our nest egg since 2017.As I started to look into transferring the small amount of xrp I had recouped that morning, out of the corner of my eye, I watched as 14,889.740739 xrp vanished from our account. The entire process took less than 8 minutes.Due to the virus and shock, I believe I may have then fainted. I cant be sure.I have since reset the ledger, filed a report with Ripple, the FBI and my local Fraud Police. My husband has been ridiculously understanding. He says its just money and right now our focus should be on getting better / staying safe. I feel devastated.I apologise for how long this post is. I guess I wanted to vent a little too. I’m so upset and fully anticipate getting trolled to death, but I wanted to alert you all of this scam as best I could...I hope you are all staying safe during this time x

Submitted March 28, 2020 at 08:14PM

No comments:

Post a Comment