Crypto Full of Scammers? I've Been Scammed More in Precious Metals

People talk about how the bitcoin/cryptocurrency space is rife with scammers. I realized today I've been scammed more in precious metals transactions. Today I tried to sell 3 gold coins to a local shop. They tested them and told me they weren't pure gold and couldn't offer much.That was weird, because I try to be really careful where I'm buying, and I've kept all my receipts. I went home, checked receipts from when these were purchased 3.5 years ago. And where did I get those 3 gold coins? The same shop that was now telling me they were bogus.I brought the receipt and coins back to shop and confronted the owner with evidence. He said it's basically my word against his, that despite the receipt, I could have swapped the coins. Which I guess is true, a person could have done that, but certainly I didn't plan a petty heist over three years ago.The compromise we struck is that he'd pay me the value I paid for the coins 3.5 yrs ago. That's higher than what he'd otherwise pay for impure gold, but much less than what I'd get were the coins pure/real, as I believed when I bought from him 3.5 yrs ago.I've also made some dumb mistakes buying on eBay and getting bogus silver.But how often have I bought faulty bitcoin? Never.How about imposter bitcoin? Nope.Anything Peter Schiff complains about with crypto is at least as true with precious metals. Likely more so.

Submitted January 24, 2020 at 03:23AM

No comments:

Post a Comment