My views on Non-Custodial vs Centralised Crypto Debit Cards

Hey everyone, I had a great discussion on r/ethereum regarding ETH powered crypto debit cards. Would love to hear what you guys think of crypto cards in general, particularly the decentralised vs centralised argumentLooking at a few cards, all of which are available in the UK.I do want to make everyone aware that I very much favour decentralised services, what with the amount of hacks that take place these days, but I do appreciate the usability of a centralised service, tooCoinbase CardCentralised or Decentralised? CentralisedCrypto exchange fees: 2.49% - one of the highest I've seenUsability: To be honest, I'd probably give Coinbase a solid 9/10 for usability - I know they get a bad rap around r/cc but from a usability perspective, it's a pretty good appRewards? No rewardsCard design: Like Monolith & Wirex, I think the Coinbase card design is pretty basic and dull.Overall rating: This was the first crypto card I ever received back when there was a waiting list for it. It's got a great mobile app & allows for a good experience when using it, however - 2.49% fees on exchanging crypto just isn't competitive. Monolith charge 2% and Plutus, discussed below, charge 1.3%.Plutus CardCentralised or Decentralised? Decentralised (my favourite part)Crypto exchange fees: 1.3%Usability: Ok, so this was a tough one. The mobile app is awesome, and does everything you'd like it to. BUT - I can't exchange crypto via the app (apparently this is coming in Q1 according to my previous thread), I can only exchange it on the web dashboard which, from what I've experienced, is very user friendly, especially with Metamask integrated.Rewards? Not yet. They're saying that soon(tm) we'll be rewarded 3% of our payments back in Pluton. So if I spend £100, I should receive 3% back in PLU.Card design: The Plutus card design has to be one of the best on the market imoOverall rating: Although I've only used Plutus for a month, I've warmed to it a lot. There's plenty of improvements to be made but the team seems quite keen to get the job done. The fees are much more reasonable than the Coinbase card - even though they're the big player here?! Despite it being decentralised, all my trades have gone through instantly. Looking forward to seeing what else they've got.Does anyone have any experience with any of the other cards on the market? I'm thinking about ordering a Wirex one, but I'm not too keen on paying a monthly maintenance fee (maintenance of what btw?!). I've got a Monolith one which has been great and was discussed more last week on r/ethereumThis is all my personal opinion and what I've learnt from individual research. Always do your own before pursuing any product or service

Submitted January 20, 2020 at 10:41PM

No comments:

Post a Comment