Beware of this scam if you're selling your crypto for cash

I'm writing this post while being overwhelmed by what happened to me but I have to warn everybody selling bitcoin for cash against this scam as it could cost you a lot (it cost me 1 bitcoin).I got contacted by someone wanting to buy bitcoin with cash on localbitcoins, we then sent messages on Telegram to make an appointment.One thing you need to know first is that Telegram recently made a change to allow deleting messages on other people's devices, this is relevant to how the scam works.Cutting to the chase: I went to see the guy in a café, he was there with another guy, he handed me the cash and I counted it, then he sent me his bitcoin address on Telegram, I copied the address in my wallet and sent him the 1 btc as promised.I check the transaction on blockchain, it had 1 confirmation at the time but he showed me his phone and there was nothing in his wallet, I check Telegram to check the address again and I realized he deleted the conversation on my device too! so I had no proof that I sent him the bitcoin to the address HE gave me after giving me the money!! So the bitcoins got sent to his address but his phone had a totally different wallet!This is where he gets aggressive and basically just starts threatening me and all of a sudden they're both attacking me trying to get the cash I just put in my pocket, I yell so people can call the cops and one runs away with some of the money and the other is trying to grab the rest. Cops come and catch the one guy and now they're looking for the second one.I checked the address that I sent the btc to and apparently it also received 5 btc the same day (yesterday), so if you have any idea who this address belongs to or someone who got scammed the same way, get in touch as I'm trying to help cops catch the second guy and hopefully get my bitcoin back. This happened in Paris.Lesson 1 : do not meet more than 1 person for a cash trade, it is risky.Lesson 2 : do not sell a large amount the first time until you trust the person.Lesson 3 : if you do sell a large amount, send a small amount as a test.Hope this prevents other people from getting scammed, be safe everyone!

Submitted April 21, 2019 at 03:28PM

No comments:

Post a Comment