I traveled 1 year around the world on 1 BTC (and alts) -- and wrote a book about it.

Afternoon all,I posted a similar thing in r/ Bitcoin yesterday but also wanted to post here. You see, I didn't just use BTC to travel around the world -- I used alts too. I wanted to share that fact and get feedback on this subreddit too. Not sure how much this subreddit crosses with r/ bitcoin. I didn't want to leave anyone out. Right then, moving on:​6 months ago I wrote a post: "Finished Traveling the World ... on 1 Bitcoin."Well, the comments and questions motivated me to write a book about the journey.I put the book up on Amazon yesterday -- in honor of World Book Day.Stolen Wallets: And Where to Buy Them.If you enjoy Breaking Bad, it's like that -- with a bit of Terry Pratchett's humor mixed in.Here's the back cover blurb:---------------------------------------------------What's in your wallet? You okay with a stranger poking through it? I'm not. Never in a million. My wallet is my private little hell. Receipts for things I can't afford and a picture of an ex I still miss. But there I was, standing in a grubby back alley in Bangkok. Wallets scattered on a table in front of me. Crocodile skin Gucci, scuffed generic brown leather, even a DIY duct-tape wallet. Each and every one of them hot. The product of sneaky little fingers. The karma of drunk tourists distracted by scorpions on sticks. Curiosity killed my ethics. I picked one up. It was full. Not with money, of course, but with ...These are the stories of my travels.20 countries, 12 months, 1 Bitcoin.From China to Europe. From late 2017 to late 2018. A historic year. The year of The Crypto Bubble. The big ride up.At the start of the year I was just another desk jockey. Putting in my 9-to-5. Binge-watching Netflix alone. Then I bought that bitcoin for $4,700. Little did I know it would soon skyrocket to $20,000. Little did I know it was my golden ticket. My red carpet to a world of fast money, greed, hype, hope and corruption.Until the bubble popped -- and the world of the newly rich began burning down.-------------------------------------------------------That's the back cover. I've ran it by a few people. One said it was too edgy. Another said it was too much. A third didn't say anything because he's too busy.If you have suggestions, lay em down.The book is an unvarnished, uncensored log of my travels. It's intense and raw. I don't sugarcoat the scams and shilling I saw. But at the same time -- the crypto communities I met around the world -- they changed my perspective and opened my mind so much that, well, all I can say is bitcoin and blockchain are freedom, truth, and our future. It's just a fact.Another fact I cover is how I had to convert some of my BTC to alts -- mostly LTC and ETH. In December 2017 and a few months before/after -- the price of transferring BTC skyrocketed. Once, I went to pay a hostel $12 for a night -- and the mining fee bumped $30. Times like that I had to sit on my laptop and sell BTC for LTC/ETH and pay using those.Do you think Bitcoin maximalists will be offended by that? It couldn't be helped. I was on a tight budget -- even if my single BTC had hit $17k​Here's the Amazon link to pre-order for anyone interested:https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QKP1FPS​Youtube trailer for the book (audio's not that great, I apologize):https://youtu.be/51CWi2cl3TE​Also, since I'm trying to become a writer and all that jazz, I'm trying a promotion tactic. You ever hear about Marguerite deCourcelle? The lady who painted a BTC prize into one of her paintings? There's also Pascal Boyart who hid a BTC prize in his mural of a modern French Revolution. Plus the whole $1 million crypto Satoshi's Treasure.https://bloom.bg/2GteX94 ​​Well, I'd like to continue their tradition. It's a fun one. Hide a BTC prize and challenge people of intellect. To that effect I've loaded up a wallet with a bit of BTC. It's a standard wallet. The seed phrase is composed of 12 random words. I've hidden the 12 random words in my book. But since hiding them in a whole book would make finding them impossible -- I'll give out clues. 12 months, 12 clues.And since I didn't have enough money to put a whole bitcoin in the wallet as a prize (I just put in 0.1 BTC) -- I'll instead dedicate 30% of my monthly sales to the wallet until it's swept. Who knows, with BTC's fresh bull run -- I hope whoever wins will have enough BTC to go travel around the world on it -- just like I did.​P.S. From my post in r/ Bitcoin I learned that my 'word puzzle wallet' could be easily cracked. An intelligent chap said that as soon as I release the book the coding and cracking community would tear it apart. They'd use Johntheripper or custom code. I'm trying to avoid that. Nothing against such a solution -- but I'm hoping to make the prize entertaining for non-coders. People who enjoy word puzzles, crosswords, and playing Scrabble :PPerhaps if anyone has ideas about how to hide the 12 word seed phrase?I appreciate it.

Submitted April 24, 2019 at 09:44PM

No comments:

Post a Comment