What are your most regretful crypto failures?

Here’s a handful of mine for your enjoyment:I downloaded the Bitcoin mining client on the day it launched in 2009, installed it and had it running on a double quad-core computer on and off for who knows how long (a year maybe?). I blanked out the hard drive and eventually threw it out, not realizing that I had potentially mined thousands of Bitcoins. Keys gone. I’ll never know how many I had. FML.After the first (big) Bitcoin pump in 2013, I started buying $150 of Bitcoin on a monthly recurring basis from Coinbase. The purchases ran for about a year or so until my CC expired. I didn’t realize it had expired until some 6 months later. Seeing that the price wasn’t budging much in 2015, I never thought to reinstate the recurring buy. FML.In 2016, I learned about Ethereum. I was in love with the idea of it. It was very difficult to purchase ETH until Coinbase listed it in May of that year. When they did, I purchased 300 ETH for $11 each. I remember pausing before I finalized the purchase, thinking to myself “I should buy 3,000,” but backed down, not even considering a recurring buy. I would forget about all of my crypto for another year when in 2017 I saw both Bitcoin and Ethereum in the mainstream news. And while the value of my stacks were significant by the end of 2017, I daydreamed of what could have been if I’d have purchased 3,000 ETH (~$4,500,000 USD at its peak). FML.I had 50,000 XRP that I bought when Ripple was $0.20. It shot to $3.00 in 2017, but I never sold any of it. FML.All that said, I’m still in love with this technology and I can’t wait to see where it goes. And while I’m salty about some of my failures in decision-making, I’m still very lucky to have gotten into the game fairly early. The most important thing crypto has taught me is to buy, hodl, forget, and check back in every year or so. The ups and downs have completely desensitized me to market fluctuations, and I’ve become a more patient and less emotional investor in both my crypto and traditional investments.

Submitted December 30, 2020 at 08:28PM

No comments:

Post a Comment