Scam warning for those of us who are new to cryptocurrencies

This post is for everyone who is new to the world of cryptocurrencies and perhaps those who aren’t as computer or technology savvy.Today I randomly received 0.0095 XLM from someone I don’t know and upon further inspection I noticed there was a memo telling me of an “Airdrop” on a .net website acting as Stellar. Immediately skeptical, I did what any normal person would do... I went to the website. This website was offering a free limited time “Airdrop” for those with XLM. Upon further investigation this website was only a couple of days old being created on the 24th, supporting an airdrop that supposedly started on the 20th of this month... (Red flag: The event is older than the website supporting it) Comments were also blocked after a couple of unconvincing comments were allowed about how much XLM they were given, most of the links in the page were broken, etc. etc. etc.I’m good enough with technology to be dangerous and I could recognize some other things that told me this wasn’t legit even though at this point, I needed no further convincing.This website was offering me a chance to participate in this “Airdrop”, but only if I provided my “private key” in order to be verified.This. Should be. YOUR red flag.NEVER give your private keys out to anyone fellow noobs!I felt compelled to post this now because while I was investigating all of this, I found that I wasn’t the only one and that there were similar websites being advertised in people’s memos claiming to be Stellar. It also saddens me to know that there are others like myself who may not be the most knowledgeable in this new world and are probably falling victim to these rash of scams. I hope that someday there will be a better means to stop these kind of things, but until then be on guard with your coins and make it a point to research everything for yourselves and from multiple sources.To the moon,

Submitted January 27, 2021 at 05:44AM

No comments:

Post a Comment