I just got hacked on Coinbase (2fa was on)

I’ve been a crypto user for years. I’m strong believer in “Not your keys, not your coins.”But, I was convinced that Coinbase (along with 2fa) was safe enough, for my to stake my ethereum for ETH2.It’s been 3 months, and today someone hacked my account (presumably by spoofing my phone number).I received a text message that my 2FA had been changed. Then within 20 min started getting dozens of emails that the hacker was using my saved bank account to purchase thousands of dollars in BTC. They also converted a few hundred dollars in dust to BTC…and within 15 min….years and years of dedication towards crypto…..GONE.The scammer now has control of my coins, and account….all I can do is wait for Coinbase to respond, and pray that I get my funds back.TLDR- NOT YOUR KEYS, NOT YOUR FUCKING COINS! 😞Edit: it seems likely I got SIM swapped - my cell carrier was recently involved in a huge data leak too. Not sure how they bypassed my Google Authenticator, though…Edit2: I spoke with Coinbase - they credited the $2000 that was stolen from my bank account almost instantly. Of corse, my bank basically told me to get lost and good luck. I genuinely give Coinbase credit for how prompt they’ve been.

Submitted September 28, 2021 at 01:42AM

No comments:

Post a Comment