And after a long 3,5 years in crypto... I got hacked and my funds were stolen

I have seen these kind of posts many times myself. "This wouldn't happen to me, I'm very careful in the crypto world" Well, I'm here to tell you that if my funds get stolen this easily, yours can too.Before we start: I haven't given anyone any kind of info. I have been in crypto long enough to know its the wild west of the finance world. I've done my research, I like trading, I like watching people make gains and or be passionate about crypto. Normally you would know where you messed up but this time....I don't even know how it happened....One day Im sitting there waiting for my XLM orders to get filled and Im getting this random email that someone from SWEDEN??? ( I live close to germany ) was accessing my account. Immediately I went onto my email to stop anything from happening but it was too late already ( I later found out ). He must have had access to my email as well because you cannot log into bittrex without an email verification code. But that makes it worse because my email is 2FA'd with my phone number so how could he have accessed my account(s)? It's just mind blowing honestly. I'm a very ' safe ' kinda guy and I don't do random stuff online which could endanger my funds. Go back to my early posts you'll find me asking questions on different subs about crypto and other related things to it.Sooo.. About $1.5k got stolen from my bittrex accountIkr? WHO EVEN USES BITTREX LMAO Well I did because I never had problems with them. When my account got verified in 2017 the exchange itsself was ok but the customer service was horrible. They have low liquidity but the exchange works fine. Anyways the customer service played a big role in this. I didnt even know I was hacked until I got my account back today and saw that the swedish thief ( probably VPN ) stole it that day ( end of March ).I then lost access to my account ( I froze my account that day ) had to start KYC all over again which took more than a month only to find out some random guy stole 0.03 BTC. I can't believe that after 3,5 years this garbage exchange still hasn't improved its customer service. I thought they would have had it fixed by now since there is so much competition... Nope, their service is garbageI know the ins and outs of this sub so the first comment will be, always keep your funds in cold storage. No. You can't do that if you are a trader like me. You have to have some $ on the exchange to be able to trade.My advice: get off Bittrex asap, if you haven't already. ( Like, right now go withdraw your funds ).Nothing else to say, not even that madEdit: guys I didnt get sim swapped my android phone works just fine and I can both call or be called. The cold storage argument I already discussed. Thanks for the help though

Submitted April 28, 2021 at 02:17PM

No comments:

Post a Comment