Self-story about how my father secretely bought 1 Bitcoin in 2016 and has HODL until now

It was September 2016, when I was starting my second year of Computer Science at University. A group of friends in class began to talk and discuss a new platform and technology, that I had never heard about, "Blockchain". It got me so interested that I enrolled my self into a one-day course that some PhD and Master students at my faculty were organising, about Cryptocurrencies, Ethereum blockchain, smart contracts, and so on.The course went great, it opened my mind and I was completely amazed at how revolutionary this technology seemed to be. At that time, bitcoin was worth around 600/700$ but as I was a student I only invested a small amount.As you can imagine, when you are young and amazed by something, you want to talk about it 24/7, and therefore I tried to explain to my parents what this was all about. My mother didn't pay me a lot of attention and just barked at me saying that it was all speculation and smoke... but my father kind of liked it, so we had more extensive talks. Obviously, I knew what kind of risks involved investing in Crypto so I never told my dad to invest in it.Fast forward the story 5 years, we were having a family dinner two months ago (March 2021) and the media was crowded with Bitcoin news as it was, for the first time, crossing the 60K mark. It was at this moment, that my dad between laughs told me that in 2016, when I explained him what Cryptocurrencies were, bought 1 bitcoin for 700$. I COULD NOT BELIEVE IT!!! HOW DID HE NOT MENTIONED IT TO ME BEFORE? He explained to me that he loved the idea behind it and that he bought one as an experiment. He also told me that at the begining he was looking a bit at the charts and prices, but then forgot completely about it until this year.To finish this off, my dad told me that his plan is to hold it for at least 5 more years and then donate all the profit to a charity. Well, hahaha not what I would do but my dad is like that...

Submitted May 27, 2021 at 10:44PM

No comments:

Post a Comment