So we're hating Ethereum now?

Edit: Thank you everyone in the comments, my hope has been restored. Perhaps I just happened to run into the vocal minority during today's scrolling :)Looking at the front page and going through the comments, today's sentiment is clear - death to Ethereum and its exorbitant gas fees! I even spotted comments calling Ethereum a premined scam, something usually seen in the more... uhm, tribalistic subs.So with all the noise in r/cc I thought the world was burning (no pun intended) and checked the current gas, just to see ~40 GWEI. Oh.Throughout the bullrun we have seen worse, much worse congestion than this.I understand that the NFT minting spikes make for flashy screenshots - and yes, it is the NTFs. For those not aware, OpenSea currently guzzles more than twice as much gas as the next in line (Uniswap, the previous king of gas). And it tends to concentrate the gas into those ridiculous spikes. But if you're just a little patient you'll get your transaction in under 100 GWEI and if you have all day, probably under 30.For those interested in daily interactions with DeFi/dApps, we already have flourishing L2 ecosystems such as Polygon. Various rollups are gaining traction as well and hopefully will soon offload some of the L1 traffic.Sharding is still on the roadmap (and for some reason always burried at the bottom of the comment section).And we now also have the silver lining of burning some of the fees thanks to EIP-1559.Help me understand why we're hating Ethereum today and not half a year ago. Is it just because of the screenshot-worthy spikes? Is it because of the Cardano and/or Solana hype? Is it because people had the wrong expectations for EIP-1559? Or am I missing something fundamental that's going on?Don't get me wrong, gas fees are high and it is an issue. No one is disputing that. I just don't see how it is any worse than it used to be. And I sincerely doubt that Ethereum is going to "kill itself because it's completely unusable".Thank you for coming to my TED rant.

Submitted August 29, 2021 at 02:05PM

No comments:

Post a Comment